In an effort to once again improve quality of life and enhance community spirit, Keep Longview Beautiful and the City of Longview’s Sanitation and Recycling Divisions will roll out a new art contest for students in Longview, Texas whom are in grades K-12. The contest will begin October 1 with art being due December 1, 2015. For public schools, the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skill (TEKS) will easily correlate with this contest throughout each grade level.
- Each campus may submit their top ten (10) illustrations.
- Entries will be judged on creativity, originality and focus on the theme Recycling in Longview, Texas.
- Four overall winners will be chosen from each of these groups:
K – 3 | 4 – 6 | 7 – 9 | 10 – 12
WHAT DO ARTISTS WIN?
Winning illustrations will be enlarged to approximately 4’x 10’ and appear on the side of a City of Longview compressed natural gas truck.
- October 1, 2015 – Contest starts.
- December 1, 2015 – Illustrations due to Keep Longview Beautiful office, located at 410 South High Street, before 3:00 p.m.
- December 15, 2015 – Final judging.
- January and February, 2016 – Unveiling Celebrations on winner’s campus.
David Simmons, Sanitation and Fleet Services Manager states, “We hope this contest will instill being good stewards to our environment. Recycling is an important practice for better quality of life in Longview, we simply want to help students and teachers have a little fun along the way!” The City of Longview and Keep Longview Beautiful strive to progress our community. Kim Droege, Executive Director of Keep Longview Beautiful says, “We truly can’t wait to see these magnificent pieces of artwork on the sides of our City’s CNG trucks. The Campus Unveiling Celebrations will be exciting and we anticipate the contest will help further advance our recycling program!”
The ‘blue’ recycling logo is available upon request if any student would like to use it.
WHO CAN ENTER?
Longview, Texas students grades K-12.
A FEW SIMPLE RULES
- Wrap your ‘nogin around the theme Recycling in Longview, Texas and create an original illustration! One entry per student, please.
- Submit on an 8 ½” x 11” piece of white paper.
- Make sure your drawing is landscape direction.
- Any medium accepted. Watercolor, crayon, marker, pencil, digital (For electronic submissions the file must be high resolution .pdf or .jpeg) seriously, ANYTHING!
- Attach contact information form to the back of illustration with a paperclip.